Friday, December 9, 2011

Tailor Made

There are times I try on an item in the store and despite my initial attraction to it on the hanger, I know that alterations would be necessary to make it the best it could be. It is then that I'm faced with a dilemma: 

Do I purchase a fixer-upper?

My answer to this question has been a nearly unfaltering "YES" because my mom is a wonderful seamstress. She has hand-made, personalized,  & customized a good portion of my life's wardrobe. Now that I live some 2,400 miles from her, I have to think a bit more critically when making the call on a potential "project piece." 


The point? Sometimes it's worth it to invest in an item of clothing that can be modified to suit you. You don't always have to accept things as they are off-the-rack. Still, maintain a discerning eye. If you have to entirely restructure your clothes, it won't be worth the headache. Minor adjustments make all the difference! A few examples...


I feel like Jackie O in this coat; it is a
classic, streamlined cut that doesn't
sacrifice elegance for practicality.
However, I went to college in Chicago--
therefore, I knew that wearing this around the
city would be frustrating because the bottom of it
would flap open in the wind.
Enter Mom.
My Mom sewed these invisible buttons to the flap
so that it stays secure while maintaining the original
style of the coat. Genius!
We got those buttons for about $2 at JoAnn's.

I bought this dress with the intent of
wearing it for Valentine's Day. It had
such a deep V neckline that I knew
I'd need a cami to go underneath, but
 it interfered with the design of the
back. My mom not only sewed a black
panel into the front to provide better coverage,
but she hand-stitched a row of pearls
to the top of it in keeping with the detail of the broach!

She also rushed to mail it to me from home so
I would have it in time for Valentine's Day in Chicago.
It arrived Valentine's morning.
Incidentally, I was also wearing this dress the night
I got engaged.

When I first bought this dress,
it had a butterfly hem [see above] that I felt
was a bit much. Mom hemmed it right off,
so it is now flow-y and summer-y but with less volume.

This top came with an attached belt.
When I tried it on, there was a puckering
effect. Mom removed the 6 loops and now
my top lays smoothly [sans belt]!
Thank you for catering to all my requests, mom! I love you!
[PS: When I come home for Christmas, I'll be bringing you a few "projects..." :)]










PPS: My mom also made this dress for my cousin
to wear as my flower girl! It has a sweetheart
neckline to mimic my dress, coral in the exact
shade of my bridesmaids and groomsmen, and
pearls along the bottom edge of coral to give a bit
of weight to the sheer overlay & coordinate with the  jewelry all my girls wore!

No comments:

Post a Comment