Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Celebrity Stylist

Just a little over three years ago [Wow! Could that much time really have passed?!] I met Clinton Kelly [of TLC's What Not To Wear] in Chicago. It was Monday, December 8, 2008. I was a junior in college with finals upon me to finish up the semester and had discovered that Clinton would be making an appearance in the Michigan Avenue Borders to host a discussion and book signing of his [then] newly-released Freakin' Fabulous: How to Dress, Speak, Behave, Eat, Drink, Entertain, Decorate, and Generally Be Better Than Everyone Else
I had to be there!
I wore a light pink shell, turquoise argyle cardigan, dark wash boot cut jeans, and heels. 

I remember Clinton being witty and charming, his spot-on assessments of current trends, and a few signature snarky remarks. However, by far the highlight of the evening for me was reaching the front of the line to talk to him myself. 
A night I will remember forever: when Clinton Kelly complimented my outfit.
Clinton [amused & pleased]: Did you wear argyle just for me?
Me [ecstatic]: Yes!
Clinton [proud & approving]: Adorable!


There was a bit more to our conversation than that, but that exchange alone was worth walking a mile in cute heels through snow, ice & salt-covered sidewalks, waiting in line for an hour, and neglecting the library to do some much-needed studying for my Greek final [I passed, if you're wondering!]. 

The front of my book, now signed.

No comments:

Post a Comment