Thursday, January 31, 2013

New Normal

There's not much about my life that hasn't changed since having a baby. Days are structured around Piper's feed-wake-sleep routine, which leaves me alternating between margins of time in which I'm incredibly productive [laundry! cleaning! errands! scrapbooking! reading! organizing! working out!] and margins in which all I accomplish is smiling and laughing with my daughter while she practices rolling over and batting at her toys [I am equally--if not more so-- satisfied with these margins as with the "hyper productive" ones]. 
Inevitably, my wardrobe has followed suit and made necessary adjustments according to my new priorities. Case in point, I carry a diaper bag instead of a purse. I'd hardly call this a sacrifice, though, because I chose I bag I knew I'd enjoy carrying: it's colorful, bright, & practical in space value and organizational layout. It even came with a changing pad that proves enormously useful while out & about. 
Part of me does miss my purses, but a much larger part is fine with them staying in the closet, on reserve for a date night while Piper's with a sitter or even later when I don't need a diaper bag anymore. I know my purses will be waiting for me, but these times with my baby girl won't. 
The principle here is this: depending on your stage of life, your clothing & accessory needs will change. Wherever you find yourself, commit to that place and embrace it wholeheartedly. There are ways to make any outfit fun, and limitations will only be as imposing as you let them! Be it kids, job, body image, weather, or occasion, don't settle for just being "okay" with your look...learn to LOVE it!

No comments:

Post a Comment